POLITICS

Budget promises up to $1M for memorial for slain RCMP officers in Moncton, N.B.

04/22/2015 02:04 EDT | Updated 07/16/2015 05:59 EDT
FREDERICTON - Plans are being made for a memorial for the three RCMP officers killed in Moncton, N.B., last year, and the federal budget allocates up to $1 million for the project.

The budget says the federal government will continue to work with the New Brunswick government and the City of Moncton to fund a memorial that recognize the sacrifices of constables David Ross, Fabrice Gevaudan and Doug Larche.

Two other officers were wounded in the June 4 shootings.

New Brunswick Finance Minister Roger Melanson says the three levels of government have been discussing plans but he only learned of the federal funding when the budget was released.

"I am not aware that there has been a request for memorial funding to the provincial government," Melanson said Wednesday.

"I haven't got all the details of this initiative but when I do have information we can make appropriate decisions based on that."

Isabelle LeBlanc, the director of communications for the City of Moncton, said organizers have shortlisted a number of artists to design the memorial.

She said the public will soon be asked for input on the design and the final concept will be unveiled in June.

Justin Bourque was sentenced to life in prison with no parole eligibility for 75 years after pleading guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.