04/22/2015 02:41 EDT | Updated 07/15/2015 11:59 EDT

NHL playoffs: 4 stories from Tuesday night

The Calgary Flames and the Chicago Blackhawks are a game away from moving to the second round, while the Capitals evened their series with the Islanders, and the Red Wings took the lead over the Lightning.

Here are four stories from Tuesday night's NHL playoff games:

Flames take 3-1 series lead

The Flames extended their series lead with a 3-1 win over Vancouver. The Flames lead three games to one and can knock out Vancouver on Thursday night.

All the scoring came in the opening period, with the first three goals coming on power plays. 

The winning goal was initially credited to defenceman Dennis Wideman but was eventually given to Jiri Hudler as a review revealed he tipped the shot.

It was a tame affair compared to the first three games, which were filled with penalties and fights. The Canucks and Flames combined for 22 penalty minutes, compared to the 243 they piled up over the first three games.

Vancouver goalie Eddie Lack was pulled after the first period where he let in three goals on seven shots. Ryan Miller came in for the second and played strong, making 14 saves.

The Flames' Jonas Hiller had a solid outing, making 27 saves, good enough to earn the fire helmet.

The Canucks' Alex Burrows didn't play after being taken to hospital for an upper-body injury he sustained during the morning skate. Vancouver coach Willie Desjardins said after the game that Burrows was released from hospital but would stay in Calgary overnight.

With the Canucks on the ropes, we ask:

Backstrom nets OT winner

The Capitals' Nicklas Backstrom tied his team's series with the Islanders, scoring the winning goal in OT for a 2-1 victory. The Islanders' John Tavares lost the draw and then his stick on the fateful play, allowing Backstrom to get the shot off.

Alex Ovechkin got his second goal of the playoffs, opening up the scoring in the first with a tip off a shot by John Carlson. Backstrom got an assist on that goal.

There was a scary moment in the first period for Capitals defenceman Brooks Orpik, who was cut on his face by a teammate's skate. He left to get patched up, then came back for the rest of the game before getting a beer thrown at his head after the game by an upset Islanders fan.

​Mrazek keeps Lightning off board

​Red Wings goalie Petr Mrazek earned his first playoff shutout, making 22 saves, as Detroit won 3-0 and took a 2-1 series lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning. 

The 23-year-old netminder was solid coming off a rough Game 2 where he was pulled after two periods. Mrazek started the series off strong, making 44 saves in Game 1, and helping the Red Wings edge Tampa Bay 3-2 in the opener.

Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk scored the winning goal less than 10 minutes into the first period with an incredible tip off a shot by Tomas Tatar.

Blackhawks win in 3rd OT

It was a late night in Chicago, where it took three overtime periods for the Blackhawks to defeat the Predators 3-2 and move to within one win of the second round.

The winning goal came on the 100th shot of the game, a blast from Brent Seabrook off a pass by Patrick Kane.

There was a little levity during the first overtime period when Predators netminder Pekka Rinne got the puck stuck in his equipment. The referee and Nashville teammates did their best to locate the puck before Rinne found it in his right pad after an extended search.