POLITICS

Bail hearing in June for two Montreal teens in terrorism case

04/27/2015 12:00 EDT | Updated 07/31/2015 02:59 EDT
MONTREAL - Two Montreal teens who each face four terrorism-related charges will have a bail hearing in early June.

El Mahdi Jamali appeared before a judge in Montreal on Monday, while Sabrine Djermane was represented by her lawyer.

The 18-year-olds have pleaded not guilty to attempting to leave Canada to commit a terrorist act abroad; possession of an explosive substance; facilitating a terrorist act; and committing an act under the direction or for the profit of a terrorist organization.

Federal prosecutor Richard Roy has said the Crown will oppose bail because it believes the pair are flight risks and a danger to the public.

Before charges were laid one week ago, their arrests were described as a "preventive measure" because authorities feared they would commit a terrorism-related offence.

An RCMP statement said the short investigation was triggered by a tip from the community, while Radio-Canada reported last week it was Djermane's sister who tipped police off about an alleged plot.

Neither the Crown nor the defence would discuss details of the case Monday.

Lawyer Marc Giroux, who represents Jamali, spent nearly an hour talking to his parents following the brief appearance.

"It's always the same story, parents are devastated anytime their kids are accused of any kind of crime," Giroux said.

Lawyers have set aside June 5, 8 and 9 to hear witnesses.

Roy said the prosecution will call at least one witness, while Giroux said he would be surprised if Jamali's parents didn't take the stand.

"The fact that he was still living with his folks, obviously they'll want to testify in his favour," Giroux said.

Evidence from the hearing will likely be the subject of a publication ban.