NEWS

Camphor mothballs accidentally mixed into candy in Share Family and Community Services Food hampers

04/30/2015 01:18 EDT | Updated 08/06/2015 06:59 EDT
Camphor mothballs were accidentally mixed into a candy mixture in over 1,100 food bank hampers in Port Moody, says the Fraser Health Authority.

The food hampers were distributed over the past two weeks by the Share Family and Community Services Food Bank, located at 2615 Clarke Street. 

Fraser Health is warning that any families that received those hampers should discard the candy containers in a bag and then throw them in the garbage. The container's contents should not be consumed and should be kept away from children and pets. The health authority is also working with the food bank to notify families who received the hampers with the camphor mothballs.

Ingesting camphor can can result in irritation and burning of the mouth and throat, abdominal discomfort, vomiting, seizures and shortness of breath. 

If you have eaten this candy mixture, contact the Drug and Poison information Centre at 604-682-5050 or 1-800-567-8911, or go to an emergency room if you experience any of the symptoms.

MORE:cbcNews