BRITISH COLUMBIA

Moth Balls Mixed With Candy In B.C. Food Bank Hampers

04/30/2015 08:33 EDT | Updated 06/30/2015 05:59 EDT
PORT MOODY, B.C. - A British Columbia health authority is warning that camphor mothballs were accidentally mixed with candy and distributed in more than 1,100 food bank hampers.

Fraser Health has issued a notice that says the hampers with contaminated candy containers were given to people in Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and surrounding villages.

It says anyone who has received those hampers should immediately discard the containers and keep them away from children and pets.

The camphor mothballs are round and white, and come individually wrapped in clear cellophane.

Anyone who has eaten the candy mixture, which was distributed within the last two weeks from a Port Moody food bank, is being asked to contact the B.C. Drug and Poison Information Centre.

The health authority says camphor ingestion can cause vomiting, seizures, shortness of breath, abdominal discomfort and irritation or burning of the mouth and throat.

Also on HuffPost

5 Ways To Donate To Food Banks