SPORTS

Former NHLer Deveaux says no warrant for his arrest issued after on-ice attack

05/14/2015 04:55 EDT | Updated 05/14/2016 05:59 EDT
TORONTO - Former NHL enforcer Andre Deveaux says Swedish authorities have not ordered his arrest for a violent attack on an opponent during a playoff game in March.

Deveaux says his lawyer Leif Silbersky has confirmed there isn't an arrest warrant.

"Mr. Silbersky spoke with the police on Tuesday, May 12, 2015," Deveaux said in a statement. "Contrary to media reports in Sweden and North America, Mr. Silbersky has confirmed there is no warrant for my arrest. My offer to answer any questions that the Swedish prosecutor may have still stands. They have not yet responded to Mr. Silbersky on that offer."

A Swedish news website had reported that a warrant had been issued and that report was picked up by many North American media outlets.

"I respectfully request that media outlets take greater care in how they reference my legal situation," said Deveaux, a 31-year-old Bahamian-born Canadian. "There is no warrant for my arrest and reporting otherwise would be untrue."

Deveaux told reporters last week he went after Per Helmersson during the pre-game warm-up, delivering a two-handed slash to the defenceman's ankle, because he had been threatened by players on Helmersson's team, VIK Vasteras HC. He said he was simply protecting himself when he took the action he did.

Helmersson had checked Deveaux into the boards from behind in the previous game between the two teams, resulting in Deveaux sustaining a concussion. No penalty was called on the play.

The Swedish Ice Hockey Association suspended Deveaux until Feb. 15, 2016, a decision he is appealing.

Deveaux has spent most of his career in the minors. In 31 NHL games for Toronto and the New York Rangers, he recorded zero goals, two assists and 104 penalty minutes. In just 20 games with Rogle, he collected 67 penalty minutes, along with six goals and three assists.

MORE:cpSports