NEWS

RCMP faces Labour Code charges in Moncton Mountie shootings

05/14/2015 07:53 EDT | Updated 05/14/2016 05:59 EDT
The RCMP has been charged under the Canada Labour Code over last year's fatal shootings of several officers in Moncton, N.B.

Any time a federal government employee dies on the job, Employment and Social Development Canada investigates. 

The charges relate to equipment, training and supervision. There are four counts under Section 148(1) of the Canada Labour Code. That section of the code states that "every person who contravenes a provision of this part is guilty of an offence and liable" to a maximum $1-million fine and/or a prison sentence of up to two years. 

It's not clear if individual RCMP members will face charges. 

Three RCMP officers died and two others were wounded when a Moncton man went on a shooting spree in June 2014. 

"As our honour roll sadly confirms, there has always been — and sadly will continue to be — deadly threats to police officers," Commissioner Bob Paulson said.

"The safety of our employees in doing this dangerous job, protecting the public, is always our priority."

He said the RCMP is reviewing these charges.

Massive search for gunman

The two-day manhunt for gunman Justin Bourque involved more than 265 RCMP officers from across Canada and about 60 municipal police officers from forces across the country.

They scoured the woods for the heavily armed suspect wearing camouflage as residents of the southeastern New Brunswick city waited under lockdown, gripped by fear. He was arrested just after midnight on June 6.

The RCMP officers killed on June 4 were:

- Const. Douglas James Larche, 40, from Saint John.

- Const. Dave Joseph Ross, 32, from Victoriaville, Que.

- Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, 45, originally from Boulogne-Billancourt, France.

The officers wounded were:

- Const. Éric Stéphane J. Dubois.

- Const. Marie Darlene Goguen.

MORE:cbcNews