NEWS

Campfires still allowed but fire restrictions across B.C. in place for Victoria Day long weekend

05/15/2015 02:14 EDT | Updated 05/15/2016 05:59 EDT
Wildfire officials are warning British Columbians to be careful with fires this long weekend as a 13,000-hectare wildfire continues to burn 70 kilometres southwest of Prince George due to dry conditions. 

Roughly 80 people have been evacuated from properties near Little Bobtail Lake and Naltesby Lake (Bobtail Lake) by the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako, and for Norman Lake by the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George since the blaze started earlier this week. An evacuation alert remains in place for nearby areas.

Fire information officer Kevin Skrepnek says the fire danger rating is expected to stay moderate to high in most of B.C. during the Victoria Day long weekend, as dry conditions remains.

"I'm in Kamloops this morning and we got a little bit of a brief shower, but beyond that we are expecting most areas of the province to be pretty much status quo," Skrepnek told Daybreak South. "So that is certainly not going to see a decrease in fire danger rating in the foreseeable future."

Open fire restrictions were announced Friday in the Kamloops area, the Prince George region, as well as the Cariboo.

The fire prohibitions include the burning of any materials larger than half-metre by half-metre, the burning of two open fires of any size at the same time, stubble or grass fires, and the use of fireworks, sky lanterns or burning barrels.

Campfires are still allowed, though Skrepnek warns people to remain vigilant.

"So folks going out this weekend, as long as they make sure those [campfires] are small, within half-metre by half-metre, as well as, of course, safe in terms of not burning in windy conditions and making sure it's always supervised, they're good to go," he said.

To hear the full interview with Kevin Skrepnek, listen to the audio labelled: B.C. fire restrictions this May long weekend

MORE:cbcNews