ALBERTA

Charges laid after man awaiting trial in toddler's death attacked

06/02/2015 08:46 EDT | Updated 06/02/2016 05:59 EDT
EDMONTON - Charges have been laid in an attack on a man who is awaiting trial in the death of an Edmonton toddler.

Richard Suter has said three men came to his door in January, posing as police officers, and took him to a rural area where they cut his thumb off.

Suter, 64, is scheduled to go to trial later this year on charges including impaired driving causing death.

Two-year-old Geo Mounsef was killed and four other members of his family injured when an SUV went through a glass partition at the patio of an upscale Edmonton restaurant.

Police spokesman Scott Pattison says Steven Gordon Vollrath, 32, has been charged with kidnapping and aggravated assault.

Although Edmonton police won't confirm a connection, last week seven charges were laid against a man by the same name who is accused of trying to shoot a police officer in New Westminster, B.C.

Vollrath is accused of leading police on a high-speed chase through three jurisdictions before escaping on May 18.

Police say the drama began when they responded to reports of two people sleeping in a vehicle and that the driver allegedly awoke and pointed a handgun at an officer, though it didn't discharge.

Vollrath was arrested in Canmore, Alta.

Edmonton police will only say the man accused in the alleged beating of Suter has a lengthy criminal record.

(CTV Edmonton)

MORE:Albertacp