The victim, 23-year-old Mahmedaarif "Arif" Patel, was shot during a fight with another man in the Markham Road and Lawrence Avenue East area around 2 p.m.
Police had been called to a reported fight outside a local barber shop. However, paramedics found Patel unconscious and bleeding in a vehicle at a gas station at Bellamy Road and Lawrence, where he had been driven after the shooting. Paramedics could not revive him.
"I heard only two shots when I'm backing up my truck," said one of two men who had just parked next to the barbershop.
"I saw a man pick up a body and put him in the car and run," the other person in the truck told CBC News.
After arriving at the gas station, police cordoned off an SUV and said that, thanks to security camera video, they had a good idea of the gunman's identity.
Patel lived in a building across the street from the scene of the shooting, friends and family told CBC News earlier this week. The two men knew each other, according to police, and their fight may have been part of an ongoing feud between them.
The suspect turned himself in to police on Wednesday and made his first court appearance Thursday morning.
He is also facing the following charges:- Careless use of a firearm.
- Weapon dangerous to the public peace.
- Carry a concealed weapon.
- Use firearm while committing a indictable offence.
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm.
- Possession of a firearm while its possession is unauthorized.
- Possession of a restricted weapon.
- Possession of a firearm contrary to a prohibited order.