NEWS

Social media photo from ISIS member gives U.S. clues for bombing attack

06/04/2015 04:37 EDT | Updated 06/04/2016 05:59 EDT
An ISIS member's posting of a photo and comment on social media gave the U.S. military enough information to trace the man in less than a day and destroy a command centre, defence officials have revealed.

U.S. Air Force Gen. Hawk Christie described the attack at a recent breakfast meeting in Washington, D.C., hosted by the Air Force Association, the website military.com reported Thursday.

The mission was triggered by "a post on social media," Carlisle told the meeting, crediting work done in Hurlburt Field, Fla., by U.S. surveillance and reconnaissance experts, the website said, without providing an exact date for the gathering.

Carlisle did not specify which social media site had been used.

"The guys that were working down out of Hurlburt, they're combing through social media and they see some moron standing at this command," Carlisle said.

The ISIS member was bragging about his group's "command and control capabilities," the general said.

Carlisle did not give any specifics, but suggested the ISIS posting provided enough information for defence officials to move into action.

It was enough to go on, he said.

"These guys go: 'We got an in.' So they do some work, long story short, about 22 hours later through that very building, three [Joint Direct Attack Munitions missiles] take that entire building out."

MORE:cbcNews