ALBERTA

Cigarette and poplar tree fluff may have ignited grass fire at Calgary Zoo

06/09/2015 11:02 EDT | Updated 06/09/2016 05:59 EDT
CALGARY - A small grass fire at the Calgary Zoo sparked an immediate response from staff who were able to quickly extinguish the blaze.

Two men were assessed at the scene by paramedics with one taken to hospital in stable condition as a precautionary measure because of possible smoke inhalation.

Zoo spokeswoman Trish Exton-Parder says it’s believed that a cigarette butt started the fire around the whooping crane exhibit.

Exton-Parder says the conditions throughout the city are ripe for grass fires and hopes people can be more careful.

Fire officials, who also responded to the scene, say it's possible a cigarette ignited some poplar tree fluff.

No animals were harmed during the incident.

(CHQR, The Canadian Press)

MORE:Albertacp