Local police are investigating the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning from a makeshift fire used to heat the cabin on Browns Road in Kurrajong.
The cabin appears to have been a converted shipping container, and Australia media are reporting the deadly gas may have come from a pot of hot coals the couple brought inside.
The Sydney Daily Telegraph called Kehler, 32, and Curic, 31, "creative souls with a full life ahead of them."
A family member discovered their bodies at about 7:40 a.m. local time Monday, according to a statement by the New South Wales police force.
Friends of Kehler, who lived in Vancouver before moving to Australia last year, confirmed their identities to CBC News.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas produced when wood, coal and other fuels burn. It can build to dangerous levels when burning fuels are brought inside, to poorly ventilated areas.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: