NEWS

2 treated for smoke inhalation after Vancouver SRO fire

06/18/2015 06:44 EDT | Updated 06/18/2016 05:59 EDT
Two men were treated for smoke inhalation, after a mattress caught fire at a Vancouver Single Room Occupancy (SRO) on West Hastings Street.

Fire officials said the fire started in a third-floor room at the Portland Hotel, a little after 11 p.m. Wednesday.

The room's barely conscious resident was walked out of the building with the help of first responders, and loaded onto a stretcher. He was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics with the B.C. Ambulance Service.

A staff member at the social housing facility was also treated for smoke inhalation. 

Fire officials on scene said it was too early to say exactly how the fire started.

MORE:cbcNews