• Even short-term immigration detention has a significant negative impact on mental health;
• Detention causes psychological illness, trauma, depression, anxiety and aggression;
• Indefinite detention is one of the most stressful aspects of immigration detention;
• Detention can be particularly damaging to refugees, victims of torture or the mentally ill.
• Create an independent body/ombudsman to oversee and investigate the CBSA;
• Enshrine in law the use of least restrictive measures against migrants;
• Detention beyond 90 days should be unusual and subject to court oversight;
• Take into account mental health and other vulnerabilities in detention reviews;
• Detain migrants in dedicated, minimum-security facilities near community supports and their lawyers.
SOURCE: "We Have No Rights," University of Toronto International Human Rights Program