Each year, thousands of Canadians decked out in their finest red and white attire flock to Ottawa for the Canada Day celebrations in the capital, and CBC will be there for the daylong event featuring star-studded concerts and the traditional fireworks over the Ottawa River.
The cross-country coverage kicks off with CBC News chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge in Ottawa starting at 11:30 a.m. ET on CBC-TV, CBC News Network and CBCNews.ca.
Mansbridge will be joined by CBC's Heather Hiscox from Newfoundland and Paul Hunter in Vancouver, and for the first time ever, CBC will be bringing Canadians Canada Day celebrations from the Arctic Circle in Inuvik.
Rosemary Barton and Jelena Adzic will be following the ceremonial and concert events on Parliament Hill.
Kiesza headlines Canada Day concert
Some of the country's top musical talents will be taking to the stage throughout the day.
When the night heats up, Calgary's pop sensation Kiesza will headline a special evening concert broadcast on CBC-TV starting at 9 p.m. (11 p.m. AT/11:30 NT).
The show featuring the 26-year-old Hideaway hitmaker includes performances by Toronto's reggae pop outfit Magic! and Alberta-raised country singer Gord Bamford.
The lineup also features performances from:- Quebec's Marc Dupré.
- Montreal's Jonas and the Massive Attraction.
- Toronto's Francesco Yates.
- Dakar-born, Quebec City-raised singer Karim Ouellet.
- Quebec singer-songwriter Andee.
- Winnipeg singer-songwriter Cassidy Mann.
Mann is also slated to sing the national and royal anthems earlier in the day.
Radio listeners can catch the concert in its entirely on CBC Radio 2 beginning at 8 p.m. (9 p.m. AT/9:30 NT) with host Nana aba Duncan.
It will also be streamed live on CBC.ca/CanadaCelebrates.
Related coverage and programming
CBC is hosting lots of Canada Day-related programming across the public broadcaster's network.- Lucy van Oldenbarneveld of CBC News Ottawa will be hosting The CBC Canada Day Songwriters Circle on CBC Radio One on July 1 at 12 noon/1 p.m. AT/1:30 p.m. NT.
- CBC Music's Lana Gay will reveal CBC Music's top five Canadian bands of all time on Beyond the Charts on CBC Radio One at 4 p.m./4:30 p.m. NT.
- On June 30, CBCMusic.ca will complete its countdown the 100 best Canadian bands ever. Check out the list at CBCMusic.ca/top100.
- On Canada Day, tune in to Radio 2 all day long to hear artists and Radio 2 hosts celebrate their favourite bands from the list. At 6 p.m (6:30 NT) Rich Terfry will count down the top 20.
- CBCBooks.ca is shining a spotlight on young adult writing with the list 100 Young Adult Books That Make You Proud to be Canadian.
- ICI Musique will air the best of Canadian music from all genres on July 1 from 6 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.Suggest a correction