Ford's chief of staff said Thursday the former Toronto mayor has been cleared to return to his duties as a city councillor for one or two days per week.
"His doctors have said that they are extremely pleased with his progress, and they are surprised at how far he has come in the recovery process in such a short period of time," said Dan Jacobs in the statement.
Ford will "gradually increase" to full-time work, again with his doctors' approval, Jacobs added.
Ford, 46, underwent major surgery on May 11 to remove a cancerous tumour in his abdomen. Before his operation Ford estimated he would be off work until at least September, though he returned to council last month to vote against his successor John Tory's "hybrid" plan for renovating the city's troubled eastern Gardiner Expressway.
Ford was back at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital on Thursday for a checkup.
Also on HuffPost