07/03/2015 11:23 EDT | Updated 07/03/2016 05:59 EDT

Gavin Lerik, 6 years old, saves family from fire

Firefighters in Sooke, B.C., are applauding the efforts of a young boy who helped his family escape a fire early Thursday morning.

Six year-old Gavin Lerik sneaked downstairs to watch cartoons in the middle of the night when he smelled smoke coming from the bathroom.

When he went to investigate, he saw that the dryer was on fire. 

"There was a light in there and it looked like there was something going on in there," he said. "And I heard glass breaking in there too."

He tried opening his parent's bedroom to tell them, but the door was locked. His parents didn't get up when he knocked, so he opted for a stronger strategy instead. 

"He kicked on our bedroom door to get our attention because his little knock wasn't quite loud enough," said his mother, Shannon Planes. 

The boy's father, Craig Lerik, was able to put out the fire with a garden hose, and the entire family got out safely with only minor injuries before Sooke firefighters arrived.

His mother said she isn't upset he was up past midnight watching cartoons because he might have not seen the smoke or alerted the family otherwise.