NEWS

SNC-Lavalin asks for court delay after receiving 1,000 new documents

07/03/2015 12:10 EDT | Updated 07/03/2016 05:59 EDT
New evidence in the SNC-Lavalin fraud and corruption case has delayed court proceedings by at least three months.

Crown prosecutor Richard Roy at the Montreal courthouse on Friday said that another 1,000 documents had been transferred to the defence.

That's on top of the 5,000 documents part of the original evidence.

Defence attorney François Fontaine asked Quebec court judge Denis Lavergne on Friday to postpone the court's next meeting to Oct. 16.

The court proceedings are related to charges laid by the RCMP that allege the engineering firm paid Libyan public officials $47.7 million in an effort to influence them.

It also charged the company, its construction division and its SNC-Lavalin International subsidiary with one charge each of fraud and one of corruption for allegedly defrauding various Libyan organizations of about $129.8 million.

The charges relate to activities that are alleged to have taken place between 2001 and 2011.

Accusations of bribing Libya officials

Three other individuals — former executives Sami Abdallah Bebawi, Bebawi's lawyer Constantine (Andreas) Kyres and Stéphane Roy — have also been accused of fraud, money laundering and other crimes.

The RCMP in Feb. 2014 laid charges against former SNC-Lavalin executives: 

- Former executive vice-president Bebawi has been charged with fraud, extortion, bribing a foreign official, obstruction of justice, possession of the proceeds of a crime and money laundering. He is suspected of laundering $33 million between 2001 and 2012 through international projects.

- Stéphane Roy, a former vice-president at SNC-Lavalin, was charged with fraud over $5,000, bribing a foreign public official and contravening a United Nations economic measures act related to Libya. His alleged crimes occurred between 2008 and 2012. 

- Roy is also facing 11 charges related to construction contracts of Montreal's MUHC superhospital. Those charges are not related to the Libya accusations.

- Kyres has been charged with obstruction of justice and extortion.

All of the allegations mentioned in this article have yet to be tested in court.

SNC-Lavalin has said it will plead not guilty and that the charges stem from the same alleged activities of former employees who face criminal charges.

MORE:cbcNews