07/07/2015 05:16 EDT | Updated 07/07/2016 05:59 EDT

Accused bomber Guido Amsel had previous contact with police

The man accused in a series of bombings that injured a lawyer in Winnipeg has had contact with police in the past, despite police telling media on Monday that they had no other dealings with him.

Back in 2009, court documents show that police seized 19 weapons from Guido Amsel's home on Pandora Avenue and from his former home in St. Clements.

Some of the guns included a Winchester and an unregistered Luger handgun. 

Winnipeg police will not comment about what happened to the firearms, but said in cases that do not result in a conviction, the weapons are usually returned.

Amsel, 49, has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, one count of aggravated assault and several charges relating to the possession of explosives.

Three women were the targets of the attacks over the past few days. Amsel's former lawyer, who worked at Orle, Bargen Davidson on Stradbrook Avenue. A bomb was detonated there Sunday night.

Amsel's ex-wife was also targeted. A car repair shop on Washington Avenue was damaged after a bomb was detonated there on Saturday.

Lawyer Maria Mitousis, who represented Amsel's ex-wife, was injured in a blast Friday.

The bombs were hidden in grey recording devices and sent through the mail, according to court documents.

On Monday, police officers were seen tagging several guns at Amsel's Pandora Avenue home.

Assault charges stayed

In 1995, Amsel was charged with assault and uttering threats.

The alleged victim in that case, a landlord, told CBC News there was a dispute when Amsel rented space in his Springfield Road property.

The landlord said Amsel brought in a mechanic, which was considered to be competition.

A dispute happened when Amsel allegedly tried to take something from the building, which was not allowed under the lease agreement.

The landlord said Amsel yelled at him in German, threatened him and spit in his face.

Those charges were stayed and Amsel was under a peace bond for a year and ordered to stay away from the man who accused him of the charges.