NEWS

Teen who 'swatted' Disneyland sentenced to 16 months in jail

07/09/2015 01:50 EDT | Updated 07/09/2016 05:59 EDT
A Coquitlam B.C. teenager who admitted to terrorizing targets out of boredom during a North America-wide "swatting" spree, was sentenced to a 16-month custodial sentence on Thursday morning.

The teen was given credit for the eight months he's already served, and will spend eight more months in custody, followed by another eight months supervised in the community.

During sentencing the judge told the teen that he had "promise," but has been wasting time inflicting "trauma, anxiety and harm" on victims.

The judge warned that life alone with a computer is the "life of a loser" that will only wind up seeing him back in jail.

The Crown originally asked for a 16-month custodial sentence for the teenager, who can't be identified because he is a young offender.

The teen stood and spoke in court on June 29 and admitted his motivation.

"I had a lot of time on my hands," he said. "I don't do anything productive, and that leaves me time to do criminal activity."

The teen pleaded guilty in the spring to 23 charges related to hoaxes that resulted in police forces sending SWAT teams to the homes of his targets.

The charges included extortion, harassment and public mischief.

The incidents were aimed at two dozen, mostly female fans, of the game League of Legends.

The teen also admitted to a bomb hoax that resulted in Disneyland shutting down Space Mountain temporarily in 2014.

The teen was arrested last year after police in Florida accused him of calling a high school and threatening to "shoot everyone" with an AK-47.

The Crown recommended strict conditions around internet or computer access, as the teen was deemed by a psychiatric report as a high risk to reoffend.

MORE:cbcNews