NEWS

Gas-huffing teens spark health warning in Eastern Townships

07/24/2015 09:15 EDT | Updated 07/24/2016 05:59 EDT
Health officials in Quebec's Eastern Townships are warning people of the dangers of huffing the gas in keyboard cleaner after a 13-year-old girl fell four metres from the edge of a bridge and broke her face.

Earlier this week, the teen passed out after inhaling a gas found in compressed air used to clean out dusty keyboards. She then fell head-first from where she was sitting on the edge of Sherbrooke's Joffre Bridge.

She suffered a concussion and has several facial fractures, and is presently recovering in hospital.

Dr. Mélissa Généreux of the Eastern Townships' public health department said huffing substances like the difluoroethane present in keyboard cleaner is like playing a game of Russian roulette.

"We never know which time will cause a heart attack," she said.

Police in Sherbrooke said they have noticed an increase in gas huffing and are urging parents to keep a close eye on their kids and to talk to them about the dangers of inhaling such substances.

MORE:cbcNews