NEWS

WWE drops Hulk Hogan amid reports of racially charged recording

07/24/2015 10:09 EDT | Updated 07/24/2016 05:59 EDT
Hulk Hogan, one of the biggest star in the history of professional wrestling, has been dropped by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).

WWE said in a statement Friday morning it has "terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan)." It suggested that his departure was related to diversity issues.

"WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide," the statement reads.

Various reports say the WWE acted after seeing a transcript of a recording in which Hogan uses the N-word to describe a man who was dating his daughter.

Hogan's lawyer told TMZ that his client was not fired, but resigned on Thursday night. The wrestler sent out the following cryptic tweet early Friday morning.

Before the WWE issued its statement, Hogan had already vanished from the organization's website. The wrestler's profile page now reads, "You are not authorized to access this page."

Google's cache shows that Hogan's page was still online as of Thursday. 

Hogan also no longer appears on the roster for WWE's tour of Australia next month.

MORE:cbcNews