With the humidex — the combination of temperature and humidity — it will feel even hotter.
If the temperature rises higher than 31 C for three consecutive days, the city issues an extreme heat alert. It has been that hot in the city, however, Toronto is technically not experiencing a heat wave.
During extreme heat alerts, Toronto Public Health Inspectors may visit known rooming houses, boarding homes and other residential premises to make sure residents are safe.
Those at increased risk for heat-related illness include older adults, infants and young children, people with chronic illnesses, people with limited physical mobility, people with certain mental health illnesses, people who work or exercise outside or people who live alone.
Here are the pools open till 11:45 p.m. on Wednesday night, weather permitting:- Alex Duff Memorial Pool, 779 Crawford Avenue.
- Alexandra Park Pool, 275 Bathurst Street.
- Cummer Park Community Centre Pool, 6000 Leslie Street.
- Giovanni Caboto Outdoor Pool, 1369 St. Clair Avenue. W.
- McGregor Park Outdoor Pool, 2231 Lawrence Avenue. E.
- Monarch Park Pool, 115 Felstead Avenue.
- Sunnyside-Gus Ryder Outdoor Pool, 1755 Lake Shore Boulevard. W.
- Smithfield Outdoor Pool, 175 Mount Olive Drive.
Here are the cooling centres around the city and corresponding hours of operation:- Metro Hall, John and King Streets, 55 John Street. Open: 24 hours
- East York Civic Centre, Coxwell and Mortimer, 850 Coxwell Avenuenue. Open: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- McGregor Community Centre, Lawrence east of Birchmount, 2231 Lawrence Avenuenue East. Open: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Centennial Recreation Centre, Ellesmere west of Markham, 1967 Ellesmere Road. Open: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- North York Civic Centre, Yonge and Sheppard, 5100 Yonge Street. Open: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Driftwood Community Centre, Jane north of Finch, 4401 Jane Street. Open: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Etobicoke Civic Centre, Burnhamthorpe Road and The West Mall, 399 The West Mall. Open: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
The record for heat on this day, July 29, was 35.6 C set in 1949.Suggest a correction