OTTAWA — Stephen Harper has stepped down as Canada's 22nd prime minister, clearing the way for his incoming successor, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau.
Harper's resignation was confirmed in a statement from a spokesperson for Governor General David Johnston, who presided over the ceremony.
Trudeau's swearing-in is taking place at Rideau Hall before a crowd of dignitaries and Liberal luminaries, including former prime ministers Jean Chretien and John Turner, as well as friends and family members.
A massive crowd of onlookers, invited on to the sprawling grounds of the residence to witness the proceedings, is gathering outside under unseasonally warm sunshine to glimpse Trudeau and watch the proceedings on a pair of big-screen TVs.
The Liberal government
- Trudeau's Cabinet Filled With Fresh Faces And Achieves Gender Balance
- What A New Canada Looks Like In One Photo
- The Prime Minister's Wife: What Is Her Title, Exactly?
- Margaret Trudeau Joins Son Justin On Swearing-In Day At Rideau Hall
- Maryam Monsef Came To Canada As A Refugee. Now, She's A Cabinet Minister.
- The 15 Female Cabinet Members Appointed By Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
- Giggling Inuit Throat Singers Delight At Trudeau Swearing In Ceremony
- Justin Trudeau Sworn In As Prime Minister
Also On HuffPost: