NEWS

Quebec Man Arrested In YouTube Murder Threats Against Arabs

11/18/2015 10:54 EST | Updated 11/18/2016 05:12 EST
Capture d'écran/YouTube

Montreal police say they have arrested a man in connection with a YouTube video in which someone says one Arab would be murdered in Quebec every week.

The arrest was made early Wednesday morning, spokesman Andre Leclerc said in an interview.

The person in the video was wearing a Joker mask and could be seen brandishing what looks like a pistol as he made the threats and spoke about last week's terrorist attacks in Paris that left 129 people dead.

Leclerc said a toy weapon with compressed air was confiscated when they arrested the 24-year-old man.

He was expected to be arraigned later Wednesday on various charges, including uttering threats, although Leclerc said there could also be charges related to inciting hatred.

The video surfaced on Tuesday and followed an attack on a Muslim woman near an elementary school in Toronto that police said appeared to be "motivated by hate."

That incident came two days after a mosque in Peterborough, Ont., was set ablaze in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks in France.

In Quebec City, the province's acting public security minister denounced the video and said it is the kind of incident that means police cannot attend to other more serious ones.

"Really, this is a totally ridiculous attitude that must be condemned," said Pierre Moreau.

"People who try this kind of thing at home to make themselves interesting leave themselves open to very serious sentences."

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

24 Reasons To Challenge Islamophobia