PARENTS

'Exploding' Hoverboard Blamed For Fire That Wrecked Louisiana Family's Home

12/02/2015 05:39 EST | Updated 12/02/2015 10:59 EST

A woman in Louisiana is blaming a popular hoverboard toy for a fire that destroyed her house.

Jessica Horne told WGNO that the device, which was bought off Amazon for her son, caught fire just a day after it was used for the first time.

The hoverboard was charging when Horne saw flames start shooting out of both ends. Before she knew it, the entire house was in flames.

In a Facebook post, the mom thanked the fire department for their efforts, especially for using a tiny oxygen mask to save her dog.

- I would like to say "Thank You to the Jean Lafitte Fire department for ALL they did last night !!! They were there...

Posted by Jessica Ann on Sunday, November 22, 2015


Now, according to WGNO, Horne plans to sue the company that makes the hoverboards.

And she isn't the only one claiming the toy caught fire: An Alabama man recently posted footage of his flaming hoverboard.

"I came outside, turned it on, came down the sidewalk not even a 100 feet [30 metres], and it exploded," Timothy Cade told WKRG.

U.S. federal regulators have taken interest in the fires, according to the Advocate.

“We are looking at the entire product line,” said Scott Wolfson, a spokesman for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

He warned buyers not to leave the hoverboards unattended while charging.

Find out more about Horne's house fire in the video above.

Also on HuffPost

Top Christmas Toys For Kids