CALGARY — A man arrested in Ontario and charged in the death of his four-year-old daughter in Calgary will remain in custody and appear in court again in January.
Oluwatosin Oluwafemi was arrested Tuesday and flown back to Alberta to face a charge of second-degree murder.
The 39-year-old, from Keswick, Ont., appeared briefly via video in a Calgary courtroom on Thursday. His case was set over to Jan. 5.
Lawyer Alain Hepner said he was retained by Oluwafemi after the man was initially questioned by Calgary police.
"It's upsetting. Very upsetting,'' said Hepner. "This event occurred a year ago. (Oluwafemi) consulted me more than once over the last year.
"We knew where he was.''
Officers who were called to a home in the city's southeast last Dec. 19 found the preschool girl in cardiac arrest and not breathing.
Olive Rebekah Oluwafemi was taken to hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
"It's upsetting. Very upsetting.''
Investigators deemed the case a homicide.
They said the injuries leading to her death appeared to have been inflicted inside her home and were not the result of an accident.
Hepner said he has yet to see any information about the case and will be seeking it over the next few days.
"I've got to see what the Crown's theory is. Something I've never seen are the medical or autopsy reports.''
He said because Oluwafemi was questioned by police, his arrest isn't shocking.
"There was the death of a little girl, so you always expected that something might happen.''
Hepner said Oluwafemi is originally from Nigeria and was working as a graduate engineer in the oil industry. He moved to Ontario to be near his family.
Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter
Also on HuffPost: