— Sulemaan Ahmed (@sulemaan) December 31, 2015
An Air Canada agent told Sulemaan Ahmed, of Markham, Ont. that his six-year-old son's name is on the airline's "deemed high profile" no-fly list. (Courtesy of Sulemaan Ahmed)His department is also exploring possible changes to the Secure Air Travel Regulations that would help identify those who have similar or the same names as people on the no-fly list, but are not the intended targets. In addition, Goodale indicated the no-fly regime — officially known as the Passenger Protect Program — would be examined during broad public consultations on Canada’s overall security framework. In a statement at the time, Adam's parents welcomed Goodale's announcement, saying he "addressed several key points that we asked for." Since then, Cajee has sent followup queries to the family's MP — Health Minister Jane Philpott — and the ministers of public safety, transport and foreign affairs. "Honestly, I think we have more questions now than we did before," Cajee said. The family would like to know if Adam is no longer flagged in the system and, if not, when he will be removed.
However, it's difficult to understand exactly why he and the other young travellers have been stopped at the airport, in part due to the quiet use of U.S. air-security lists in Canada. Other countries are at liberty to develop their own rules for their own purposes, Goodale said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press. "But it can have a spillover effect that is very difficult to manage. We'll obviously look at that in the process of the consultation that we're going to undertake with the airlines and with the general public. It's just critically important to get this balance right." Meantime, Adam is slated to fly to Edmonton in March, the boy's mother said. "So we'll see what happens." Follow @JimBronskill on Twitter
"Honestly, I think we have more questions now than we did before."
Also on HuffPost