LIVING

Mark Ruffalo, Oscars Nominee, Says He May Join Boycott Against Show

01/21/2016 12:16 EST | Updated 01/21/2016 12:59 EST

Momentum behind the campaign to boycott the Oscars is growing.

Actor Mark Ruffalo, nominated for his supporting actor role in "Spotlight," told the BBC he's torn about whether or not to attend the Academy Awards.

"I woke up in the morning thinking, what is the right way to do this," he said.

"If you look at Martin Luther King's legacy, what he was saying was, the people, good people who don't act, are much worse than the people, the wrongdoers, who are purposely not acting and don't know the right way."

But he also told the Press Association that "Spotlight," which chronicles the Boston Globe's investigation into sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, means a lot to abuse survivors.

"I'm in a movie that's representing a whole other group of disenfranchised people who have no voice in the world."

"I'm in a movie that's representing a whole other group of disenfranchised people who have no voice in the world."

A number of Hollywood stars have announced they won't attend this year's awards ceremony after no actors of colour were nominated for the second year in a row.

Actors Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, directors Spike Lee and Michael Moore have all said they'll skip entertainment's biggest night.

Host Chris Rock has also faced pressure from fellow stars to step down, but hasn't yet commented.

After the nominations were announced last week, academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs said she was "disappointed" to see a second year of all-white acting nominees. She promised in a statement Monday that the academy would take "dramatic steps" to alter its membership, which a 2012 Los Angeles Times study found is largely white and male.

While it's clear Ruffalo faces a dilemma, we applaud him for being honest. You can watch the video above to hear more of his comments.

Also on HuffPost

Black Oscars Speeches Through The Years