ALBERTA

Brad Wall Hints La Loche School Won't Be Torn Down

02/09/2016 08:39 EST | Updated 02/09/2016 08:59 EST

REGINA — Premier Brad Wall is suggesting that it's not likely a northern Saskatchewan high school where two people were shot to death will be torn down.

Wall says there are no immediate plans to demolish the school in La Loche and it will be utilized.

la loche community school

A fatal shooting at La Loche Community School took place on Friday, Jan. 22, 2016. (Jonathan Hayward/CP)

Although, the premier adds it will be a school division decision.

The Northern Lights School Division has said Feb. 22 is the earliest the La Loche high school could reopen.

A teacher and an aide were killed and seven others hurt in a shooting at the school last month and two brothers were also killed at a nearby home.

La Loche interim mayor Kevin Janvier and others have suggested that it needs to be torn down and rebuilt before the community can move forward.

The premier also says he updated Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Tuesday on issues in La Loche, such as school safety and counselling, the possibility of teaching trades and community development.

Also on HuffPost

La Loche Mass Shooting