MONCTON, N.B. — A New Brunswick mother says she has received final confirmation she cannot donate a kidney to her ailing son after a review panel maintained a previous decision preventing her from acting as a donor.
Ashley Barnaby said today that an official with the living donor clinic at the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Halifax informed her of the decision Friday.
Barnaby says she is awaiting a full explanation of the decision, adding that she had been told previously that the procedure could put her health at risk.
Everton McLean, a spokesman for the hospital, was not able to comment on the matter.
Barnaby underwent a series of tests to see if she could be a donor for her son, 19-month-old Zaccari Buell, who suffers from a kidney condition called congenital nephrotic syndrome and has heart issues.
The 28-year-old, who also has a seven-year-old son, said she was rejected weeks ago after being told she runs the risk of developing diabetes in the future if she gives her organ to her little boy.
Also On HuffPost:
Suggest a correction