ALBERTA

Calgary Zoo Otter Drowned After Getting Tangled In A Pair Of Pants

02/17/2016 01:22 EST | Updated 02/17/2016 01:59 EST
cj berry/Flickr

An otter at the Calgary Zoo died after getting tangled in a pair of pants provided by a trainer, an investigation has found.

Logan, a 12-year-old male North American river otter, died on last week. A zookeeper had spotted it struggling in the pool, but the animal did not survive.

A zookeeper gave the pants to the otters in the facilitys Cequel Lodge enclosure as an "unauthorized enrichment item," according to a statement released by the Calgary Zoo on Wednesday.

Protocols were broken by two staff members who have been disciplined, said the zoo.

“This error is simply unacceptable. Our animal care protocols are among the most stringent in the industry and must be followed," said Colleen Baird, the zoo's general curator.

It's not the first time zookeeper error has caused the deaths of animals at the zoo.

A 2010 audit compiled by the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums found that dozens of animals have died due to mistakes such as faulty enclosure design, being crushed by hydraulic doors, or by being stepped on.

The Cequel Lodge is home to three remaining otters: one-year-old male Finnegan, 12- year-old female Charlotte and 16-year-old male Callebaut.

Like Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter

Also on HuffPost:

Calgary Zoo Animals In The News