NEWS

Guido Amsel, Winnipeg Man Accused Of Sending Letter Bombs, Facing More Charges

04/08/2016 12:08 EDT | Updated 04/08/2016 12:59 EDT
CP

WINNIPEG — A Winnipeg man already accused of targeting his former wife and two lawyers with potentially lethal letter bombs faces more charges in an explosion two years earlier at his ex's home.

RCMP say Guido Amsel faces two counts of attempted murder as well as several explosives and weapons-related charges.

"In the early morning hours of April 13, 2013, what we believe to be an explosive device was detonated outside a home in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements," Chief Supt. Scott Kolody said at a news conference Friday.

The explosion damaged the home and a vehicle, but did not wake up anyone in the house, said Staff Sgt. Jared Hall. No one noticed the damage until later that morning.

Amsel is already in custody waiting for a bail hearing on attempted murder and weapons charges from last summer.

Two letter bombs were safely detonated in July, but one exploded and severely injured lawyer Maria Mitousis, who had represented Amsel's former wife in the couple's divorce. Mitousis lost a hand in the blast.

Amsel's lawyer has previously said his client denies all the charges related to the letter bombings.

Hall said despite evidence in the house bombing, investigators couldn't identify any suspects at the time.

"The proper collection of evidence at the scene in 2013 and the safeguarding of exhibits throughout these past 2 1/2 years was critical to this investigation," Kolody said.