Creating a tasty and creamy "cheese" cake that is free from dairy, eggs, gluten, soy, peanuts and tree nuts is easier than you think!
Gluten-free, nut-free cheesecake crust
1 1/2 cups of gluten-free oats
Pinch of salt
1 cup of pitted dried dates
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Put oats and salt into a food processor, and pulse briefly to mix.
- Add the pitted dates and vanilla extract, and process until dates are finely chopped and the mixture starts to clump.You may need to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to get it to the right consistency.
- Line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and press down until the crust is flat and even.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
Vegan, nut-free, cheesecake filling
1 can of full fat coconut milk
1 tbsp. of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of aquafaba (chickpea water)
1/2 cup of maple syrup (or white sugar)
1 tbsp. of lemon juice
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of coconut flour (or white rice flour)
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
- Place all of the liquid ingredients (coconut milk, vanilla extract, aquafaba, maple syrup, lemon juice) into a food processor or blender, and mix on high until the mixture is uniform.
- Add the coconut flour and tapioca flour, and process until the cheesecake filling is smooth.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 325 F, and then cool completely. Refrigerate about four hours before serving cold.
Pauline Osena is a food allergy advocate and founder of HypeFoodie.com, an online resource for allergy-friendly living. This former dairy junkie became an expert in allergy-friendly cuisine while figuring out how to feed her child with multiple food allergies. Pauline aims to inspire culinary adventures and experimentation with her series, "Allergy-Friendly Makeovers," and shares the valuable knowledge she has gained from her trials, errors and adventures in living with food allergies with "The Allergy-Friendly Top 10." Pauline's short-term goals include getting a full night's sleep and drinking her entire cup of coffee while hot.
Also on HuffPost