An Australian child psychiatrist is facing child pornography charges after allegedly videotaping a child in a movie theatre washroom.
An angry father confronted a man in West Edmonton Mall on Sunday afternoon after he allegedly saw him recording a video of his son at a urinal in the Scotiabank Theatre's washroom.
The confrontation was captured in a video posted to Facebook.
"I was in the bathroom and this man was videotaping my son."
In the video, a man is surrounded by three others who push him to show them his cell phone.
"I was in the bathroom and this man was videotaping my son," says one of the men.
"Did you know recording in a public restroom is illegal?" adds another.
According to one bystander, the father eventually grabbed the man's phone and handed it to his partner.
"The mother goes ‘I’m still looking, I’m still looking’ and then after a couple of seconds, you kind of hear her let out this scream and that’s when she said that she found the video of her son going to the bathroom. … I won’t be able to forget that," witness Ashley Jackson told Global News.
Suspect was charged
One Facebook commenter who witnessed the exchange said she didn't know what happened at the time, but heard the boy's parents sounding upset.
"Mall security had the suspect fully surrounded waiting for the police and dad was making sure they weren't letting him go anywhere before the police arrived... kudos to the dad for keeping a level head during such an awful situation," she wrote.
Aaron Voon, 41, has been charged with possession of child pornography, making child pornography and voyeurism according to CBC News.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story indicated that Aaron Voon was an Edmonton resident. He is actually from Australia.
Also on HuffPost:
About 73 percent of car seats are not installed correctly, but we can show you how to make sure your kid’s ride is safe.
Every week, a child dies from a television or furniture tip-over. Check your house for furniture a child might try to climb and for TVs that could topple.
When a young child dies from a residential fire, a smoke alarm is usually either not working or not present. And carbon monoxide is not detectable, so your family needs both types of alarms.
Every 8 minutes, a child goes to the ER for medicine poisoning, and almost 9 times out of 10, the medicine belongs to an adult. Look at your house from a child’s perspective to see what they can see or reach.
They come in musical greeting cards, remote controls, and key fobs. And of course, little kids pop them into their mouths in an instant. This happens more often than you might think-- there are about 10 phone calls a day to poison control centers.
To keep kids staying active and enjoying sports, young athletes and coaches need to know how to stay hydrated, stretch thoroughly, use the right equipment, and recognize the signs and symptoms of concussions.
Distraction impacts driving, walking, bath time, just about everything. Here’s our challenge: take a month to notice times when you or your kids are distracted. Help each other remember to put down the phone (or whatever is diverting you) and focus on looking out for each other.