OTTAWA — A stagnant budget, inadequate training and lack of public communication have eroded Canada's efforts to deny safe haven to war criminals, says an internal evaluation.
The study also uncovered concerns about a trend toward using immigration law to remove war criminals from Canada rather than pursuing prosecutions or revoking citizenship.
Overall, there were fears that Canada's contribution to the global fight against crimes against humanity was "diminishing due to capacity and resource issues."
A Canadian flag flies in the the wind on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Monday, Dec. 7, 2015. (Photo: Matthew Usherwood/CP)
A January 2016 presentation of preliminary evaluation findings about the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Program was released to The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.
"Resources have not changed since 1998 and are considered inadequate," says the presentation, prepared for the Justice Department by Prairie Research Associates.
The justice minister's office had no immediate comment on the findings.
The multi-agency federal program, with an annual budget of about $16 million, tries to keep war criminals out of Canada, prevent those in Canada from obtaining citizenship, revoke the status of people complicit in atrocities, and investigate and prosecute suspects when appropriate.
Just 2 citizenship revocation cases
The consultants examined data, surveyed staff and interviewed 49 people — including federal employees and representatives of foreign governments, NGOs and academic institutions.
However, they found complete annual performance data existed only through 2010-11, making the assessment challenging and highlighting a desire for "more accountability," even among program personnel.
There was "indirect evidence" the program had been effective, such as the denial of more than 3,000 visas over 10 years on grounds of war crimes or crimes against humanity.
Still, there had only been two citizenship revocation cases for modern war crimes, with most revocation files involving Second World War cases.
'Indications of strain'
In the same vein, the program had undertaken just two prosecutions for modern war crimes, reflecting the "difficulty in having sufficient evidence to lay charges and the high cost of prosecutions."
"Some key informants questioned the preference for immigration remedies, arguing that this approach displaces criminals rather than holds them accountable."
Many believed the program was effectively managing files, though there were "indications of strain."
The percentage of program personnel who indicated they were somewhat or highly satisfied with the program as a means of denying safe haven fell to 59 per cent in 2015 from 74 per cent in 2008.
— Over two-thirds of those surveyed said the amount of training was inadequate.
— Co-operation among partner departments was generally seen to work well, but communication regarding active files "could be improved" and the relationship between the RCMP and Justice Canada "remains a work in progress."
— Loss of expertise due to retirement was a key risk for the program.
In addition, various program subcommittees "appear to have stagnated" in the last five years, the presentation says.
The research and virtual library committees did not seem to have met since 2011, the standardized training committee had been on hold since 2013 and there had been no major refresh of the War Crimes Program website for five years.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
Source: Maplecroft's Human Rights Risk Index for 2012 Foreign clerics living in Iran face security forces as they demonstrate in front of the Saudi Arabia embassy in Tehran on April 8, 2011, to support Bahrain protesters against the violent crackdown by the ruling Sunni dynasty in the capital Manama, two days after more than 200 Iranian parliamentarians condemned the 'frightening crimes' of Saudi troops in Bahrain and demanded their departure. (Getty)
A plainclothes member of Iraqi security forces investigates the site of a car bomb explosion in a vegetable market in the central town of Khalis on December 1, 2011. (Getty)
Wounded Yemeni men are evacuated in Taiz, south of the capital Sanaa on December 5, 2011, after forces loyal to Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh shot dead a woman and wounded six other people when they opened fire on a crowd of protesters. (Getty)
North Korean soldiers look at the South Korean side at the truce village of Panmunjom in the demilitarized zone dividing the two Koreas on December 2, 2011. (Getty)
Pakistani Islamists burn US flags during a protest in Karachi on December 2, 2011, against the cross-border NATO air strike on Pakistani troops. (Getty)
Monks lift supplies from outside after they locked themselves inside a religious building to protest for the release of all political prisoners, in central Myanmar city of Mandalay on November 15, 2011. (Getty)
Former Taliban fighters are seen after joining Afghan government forces during a ceremony in Nahri Shahi district in Balkh province on November 30, 2011. (Getty)
A Somali government soldier looks at a severed body part belonging to a soldier that was killed in a suicide attack November, 30, 2011 at the national Somalia army headquarter in Mogadishu. (Getty)
Refugees of Democratic Republic of Congo are help by Red Cross staff members as they disembark on December 5, 2011 in Brazzaville's harbor. (Getty)
A Sudanese man points to damages at his house caused by fighting that erupted in June between government forces and ex-rebels with strong ties to South Sudan, in Kadugli in the tense border region of South Kordofan on October 21, 2011. (Getty)