Spring fever has many Canadians ready to spruce up their dwellings, whether they're prepping their homes for sale, getting rid of old, outdated pieces or simply looking for a lighter, fresher style this season. While magazine spreads and blogs can provide great inspiration for home décor ideas, finding the perfect look for your home from local retailers can often prove to be a challenge. So how do we get that picture-perfect, on-trend look without spending a fortune?
Many home decorators (whether by profession or hobby) are discovering that some of the best-kept, home décor secrets can be found by shopping online, as it literally allows customers to "shop the world" for the most coveted items of the season -- many of which simply aren't available on home turf. While many of us commonly turn to online retailers for clothing, shoes and collectables, purchasing items for the home such as vases, art, and decorative blankets and pillows is a growing trend. Shopping from your living room is not only comfortable and more convenient, but it also allows you to see immediately whether a piece will fit in with the rest of the room. Why not shop for throw pillows while sitting on the very couch that you want them to match?
Whether you're out with a friend, checking into a hotel or driving to work, home décor inspiration can come from anywhere, anyone or anything. I recommend keeping a working memo of descriptions or photos of some of your favourite home designs so you can draw on them when it comes time to upgrade your own home.
Here are some examples of top home décor trends to incorporate into your home makeover for spring 2013:
- Luxe up your living room with elegant evening wear: This season, the runways are all about glamour. Glitz up your formal or casual living room with silk pillows and bold striped patterns. This will add a touch of elegance and glam.
- Be bold: Fashion mavens around the globe are coveting black and white and graphic shapes. Try interesting vases, dramatic throw blankets or easy slipcovers to bring the look home. Layering with black and white is a bold move that is timeless!
- Covet the classics: If you'd prefer a subtle change, embrace lace. Delicate, white lace has made a comeback in a big way. Look at refreshing your curtains or even topping your table with a new runner. Go for vintage pieces or modern renditions.
- Emerald is the Pantone colour of 2013: Why not keep your home on trend with splashes of this fun and cheerful hue? Incorporating accents with emerald green vases, placemats and throw pillows will make any room feel refreshed without needing to do a complete makeover.
- Choose bronze for a winning look: This old-Hollywood style metal is a perfect choice for handles or accents on any cupboard, drawer or door in your home. The classic elegance of the brushed brass makes it the hottest hardware of the season.
- A break from brights: There is nothing more calming that neutral tones in the home, so consider layering beiges, ivories and taupe in an area of your house. The simplicity evokes a sense of serenity and is very on trend this season!
Ultimately, your home reflects who you are, so be sure to fill it with pieces that show your taste and personality. Just don't be afraid to look beyond local shopping malls to find the items you love online, whenever inspiration hits.
Follow Dvira Ovadia on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DVIRADesigner