I have to admit something. I am a skeptic. Being in the natural health field I have been exposed to many different unconventional therapies and ideas. As such, I am forced to properly evaluate whether a particular supplement, device, treatment, or idea is efficacious.
One of my rules in evaluating various therapies is that I consider them possibly efficacious until proven otherwise. In other words, I will not discount or accept a therapy until I have personal experience and/or see solid research.
This way of thinking has saved me from getting hooked by many useless therapies and ideas. In one particular case, however, I dismissed the evidence prematurely... the power and dangers of electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs).
The great thing about the truth is that it develops force over time. And truly, the power of the truth hit me hard this time.
About five years ago I was introduced to the possibility that mobile phones, portable phones, WiFi and most electrical devices emit a non-ionizing radiation that could be harmful. At the time I was not presented with solid research and thus did not pass this information on to my family, clients and students.
In 2011 the World Health Organization published a statement warning that cell phones are "possibly carcinogenic to humans."
The research is now solid: These devices should be used with caution.
I recently had the opportunity to listen to Dr. Devra Lee Davis speak on the latest research on EMFs. I was floored, to say the least.
As you can see from the above images, the brain area known as the hippocampus had significant mobile loss in the subjects on the left, exposed to EMFs. This particular study was completed on newborn rats, illustrating the importance of protecting infants from this radiation. They are particularly vulnerable due to the rapid development of their nervous system.
I have previously discussed the role that our environment plays on the expression of our genes. The information our genes are exposed to, in the form of food, exercise, thoughts, chemicals and radiation, affects the way our genes are expressed.
It has been shown now that DNA is detrimentally affected after a subject is exposed to radiation for 15 minutes a day for seven days in a row. This is nothing compared to the exposure most people get in normal life. In addition, if the effects of cell phones were studied in the pocket (on body), cell phones would almost surely be illegal.
In areas of the brain that were closest to the antenna, glucose metabolism increased significantly. Furthermore, metabolic increases with mobile phone exposure were significantly correlated with intensities of the estimated EMF amplitude in the radiofrequency bandwidth of the phones.
What really came as a surprise to me was when Dr. Davis mentioned that mobile phones actually increased dopamine in the brain. What does that mean physiologically? It points to the possibility that mobile phones can become addictive. Dopamine is the same neurotransmitter that is released with cocaine addiction.
These results provide evidence that the human brain is sensitive to EMFs from mobile phones.
Proven effects of mobile phones on humans
- The amount of sperm, and the motility, morphology and morbidity are all reduced
- In the saliva there are increased micronuclei, as well as DNA damage, and reduced amylase, albumin,and salivary flow
- Increased frequency of tinnitus (or ringing) within the dominant ear
- Alterations to nerve conduction velocity
Proven effects of mobile phones on animals
- Weakened blood-brain barrier
- Increase in reactive oxygen species, chemically reactive molecules containing oxygen
- Altered calcium transport
- Prenatally-induced damage to DNA repair mechanisms, reduction in differentiation of neural stem cells into neurons and damage to the hippocampus and cerebellum
Who is leading the world in mobile phone awareness?
The French Government has:
- Banned advertising directed at children under age 12
- Banned the design of phones to be used by those under 6
- Mandated that all handsets must indicate the amount of radiation emitted
- In the city of Lyon, launched an official advertising campaign to discourage the use of mobile phones by children
How can you protect your family?
- Turn off transmission (on an iPhone, this would entail turning on "airplane mode")
- Use the speakerphone option
- Use earpieces (avoid using a blue-tooth)
- Use a PONG case for your phone (Full disclosure: I have no financial ties to this company)
- Avoid keeping the phone on your body or in a pocket
- Avoid using your phone in areas with weak signals
- Protect abdomens: especially for those who are pregnant, adolescent and men wishing to become fathers
- Do not text while driving/biking/moving (switching between antennas while in use increases EMF exposure)
Unfortunately, when it comes to technology, devices follow the same doctrine put forth by the judicial system: innocent until proven guilty. Consequently, a huge trial is taking place and many people won't realize they are a part of it until it is too late.
The evidence to date clearly shows the risks associated with EMFs, and it is thus essential to protect yourself, your loved ones, and especially your kids.
For a list of references, click on this link and scroll to the bottom of page.