As you know, beets are one of my favourite additions to a dish to make it not only delicious, but give it amazing presentation as well (remember this beet hummus?) This delicious winter (or summer) salad is no different.
One thing I love about kale salads is that you can make a big batch to have for leftovers, and even dress it and the leaves won't go soggy. The leaves are much tougher than other greens, so I actually often like kale salads even better in the following days once the dressing has really soaked in and marinated the leaves.
If you're a first-time kale eater, I may even suggest trying this right off the bat. Make the salad in advance for a more tender, flavourful dish.
Enjoy this hearty salad as a side or main. It's got everything you need with lentils providing a nutritious plant based protein, creaminess from the goat cheese and dressing and a nice crunch from the Pumpkin seeds.
Did you know that pumpkin seeds have three times the amount of iron as most other nuts or seeds?! Fifteen per cent of your daily requirements in just two tablespoons. Eat up, your body will thank you!
Roasted Beet Salad with Lentils, Goat Cheese and Lemon Tahini Dressing
Serves two as a main or four as a side
- 1 bunch of curly kale, thick middle stem removed and ripped into bite sized pieces
- 1 golden beet
- 1 red beet
- 1 19 oz can of lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, salted
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp warm water
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove the stem and root from the beets, and scrub them clean under warm water.
3. Rip off two piece of tinfoil, large enough to wrap all the way around the beets. Set the beets on the foil and drizzle with a drop of avocado oil and rub it over the surface of the beets. Wrap each one tightly with foil and roast for about an hour or until easily pierced with a knife.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk with a fork until well combined.
5. In a large mixing or serving bowl, combine the kale and the dressing and toss to coat evenly (you may need to get your hands in there to really coat the leaves).
6. Add the lentils, goat cheese and pumpkin seeds.
7. Once your beets are cooled, peel off the skin and cut into quarters.
8. Plate the salad, top with the beets, serve and enjoy!
Follow HuffPost Canada Blogs on Facebook
MORE ON HUFFPOST: