I don't know what it is about the warmer weather but it just makes me want to have taco parties all the time! I think there's something about the corn tortillas and the lime...makes me think of sunny days on vacation.
The awesome thing about this recipe is that it can be used all year round. I absolutely LOVE slow cookers. They are so easy and cut out so many steps in the cooking process, yet produce the most flavorful dishes and perfectly tender meat. They're great in the summer because unlike heating up the oven, they won't leave you sweating in your apartment. In the winter, they're perfect for stews, soups and other comfort food dishes, to really allow all of the flavors to simmer and set in.
There really is nothing better than coming home to a house smelling like someone's been slaving over the stove all day, especially when you've been out having a good time!
Another bonus, because of the low and slow (heat and cook time) cooking method, more nutrients are retained. Lower temperatures preserve the more delicate nutrients and keeping the cooking liquid or water in the dish also prevents the loss of nutrients through evaporation or by dumping the cooking liquid after as you would with steaming or boiling.
Ok, enough about my obsession with slow cookers, let's get to the good stuff.
This recipes was inspired by our trip to South America last year. As our wedding is fast approaching (just 3 months away!! I can't believe it!) I find myself reminiscing about this amazing trip, where we got engaged 🙂 Carne asada is everywhere there and I couldn't get enough of it. I was determined to find a recipe to recreate the delicious blend of flavors. It took a bit of trial and error but I think I finally perfected it.
This recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight meal (let it simmer away, ready for you after a long day at work) or for a dinner party with friends. I like to set out a bunch of different salsas and toppings to make it a fun "make-your-own" event.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do! I'd love to see how you enjoy yours and what kinds of toppings you come up with! Share your creations with me on Facebook or Instagram and tag Lindsay Jang,RD or @lindsayjangrd with the hasttag #inthekitchenwithLJ.
Enjoy!Want a free copy of "Lindsayjang.com Top 10 Recipes Cookbook"? Click here for your free instant downloadable copy!
Slow Cooker Carne Asada Tacos
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch (1/8 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded (keep seeds if you want a little extra spice!)
- 1 packed cup cilantro
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Corn Tortillas
- Optional Toppings: salsa, guacamole, pickled or fresh vegetables, hot sauce or other desired toppings
1. In a medium bowl, combine all rub ingredients. Stir with a fork to combine well. Add steak and rub both sides, pressing the mixture into the meat. If you have time, marinate overnight in the fridge, not necessary if pressed for time.
2. In a small food processor, add all paste ingredients and pulse until a thick paste is formed. It's ok if there are still chunks of the ingredients visible. Rub both sides of the steak with this paste and place meat in the slow cooker.
3. Top with remaining onion, tomatoes, lime juice and bell pepper. Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Suggest serving with corn tortillas, salsa, guacamole, pickled vegetables or other desired toppings.
Need help with weekly meal prep and planing? Check out my 3-2-1 Method Program for all the tools you need for successful meal prep.
Follow HuffPost Canada Blogs on Facebook
Follow Lindsay Pleskot on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LindsayPleskot