You may not want to hear this, but if you are going to juice make it organic! When you juice conventional vegetables you are likely absorbing all the pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or genetically modified organism (GMO) stored in them. Because juices are so concentrated your body will soak up those chemicals immediately. Especially if you are doing a cleanse, this is crucial! I know you may be thinking, isn't just drinking juice in general better than no juice at all? Well, there is something to be said about that, as it's better than what most people are drinking daily (soda, sugared coffees and pasteurized juice). However if you are making the effort to enhance your health, then you may as well go the full length and do it right!
Problems with buying store bought juices:
•Juice in bottles is often pasteurized. This means it is heated to at least 145*F/62*C to make it shelf stable, thus deactivating the beneficial enzymes.
•Plastic packaging contains "leachables" or some sort of chemical component that ends up in the juice.
•Plastic is harmful to the environment as it contributes to pollution, affects wildlife, and ultimately ends up in the food chain.
Juice delivery cleanses:
In terms of juice delivery services, you need to ask yourself a few questions. How fresh is the juice? Are these companies adding any preservatives to make the juice last longer? Are they using completely organic ingredients? Or is the juice being store in plastic bottles? It is hard to know. That is why it is best to juice your own fruits and vegetables. If you can't get organic produce, make sure to wash it thoroughly with a vegetable wash, peel anything that is known to be heavily sprayed (including bell peppers) and avoid anything that cannot be peeled (such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries). There are some companies that do adhere to strict principles and ensure that the juice is from high quality organic ingredients and stored in glass bottles. So be sure to do your research.
If you're not sold on juicing yet, here are some of the main benefits...
1. It helps your body absorb the nutrients from the vegetables/fruits. Many individuals have difficulty digesting certain foods. As a result, the body doesn't absorb all of the nutrients that the food provides. Juicing helps to "pre-digest" the food for you, making it easier for your body to receive and absorb all of the nutrients.
2. Juicing helps you increase your consumption of fruits and vegetables. Many individuals do not get enough fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Juicing allows you to obtain all of the beneficial nutrients in a quick and timely fashion.
3. Juicing helps to broaden your intake of various fruits and vegetables. It is easy to stick to the same fruits and vegetables day in and day out. But it is important to rotate your intake of various foods to get the full spectrum of nutrients.
4. It helps to improve your health and sustain a nutritious raw lifestyle. Eating a high percentage of raw fruits and vegetables contributes to high energy levels and faster recovery from illness...as well as a slower aging process.
5. You are able to obtain all of the beneficial enzymes found in the produce, which is important for metabolism.
6. The body receives a sufficient amount of phytochemicals, which helps it fight disease.
7. Juicing provides the body with a high concentration of antioxidants, which helps combat free radicals.
8. They are rich in vitamins and minerals and helps hydrate the body.
9. Juicing is a live liquid supplementation and provides greater benefits than taking synthetic supplementation.
10. There are lots of options when it comes to juice, allowing you to enjoy different combinations!
Looking for other inspiration to get started on cleansing?
Cost per day: $60 Lasts: 3 days lifejuiceshop.com Comments: "Happy Belly has red cabbage in it, which scared me, but it actually tastes like a popsicle. Amazing." "The carrot in the Energizer Bunny is outstanding. So fresh and smooth." "Good juices. All bright and tasty." "Beautiful colors! Each one was very distinct. Happy Belly was amazing. Only the Alkaline Blend wasn't delicious."
Cost per day: $58 Lasts: 3 days Celeb fan: Salma Hayek coolercleanse.com Comments: "Steer clear of the Essential Greens, but everything else is good." "The almond nut milk is like a vanilla milkshake!" "I would die for this almond nut milk -- the best nut milk of all the cleanses." "Strong flavors! I would drink some of these every day."
Cost per day: $60 Lasts: 6 days in refrigerator Celeb fans: Olivia Wilde, Bethenny Frankel, Julia Stiles blueprintcleanse.com Comments: "The white cashew juice tastes like a milkshake." "The red is intensely delicious." "The green juice is a little more bitter than other brands." "The green juice is a little muddy, almost swampy." "The gold pineapple mint is outstanding -- but I'd rather have it in a cocktail." "I just wish the taste of the cashew milk were a little sweeter."
Cost per day: $80, plus $20 shipping Lasts: 4 days Celeb fans: Kim Kardashian ritualcleanse.com Comments: "The almond mylk reminds me of horchata." "There's hardly any difference between the sweet greens and the green lemon, but they're both delicious and fresh." "The nut drinks are both way too gritty." "Very austere. I definitely couldn't maintain this." "The vegetable-based drinks are a little depressing, but the fruit drinks are delicious."
Cost per day: $70 for bio bottles, $90 for glass bottles Lasts: 3 days Celeb fans: Gwyneth Paltrow, Liv Tyler, Mary-Louise Parker organicavenue.com Comments: "The pear juice is outstanding and very sweet, but thin." "Nothing exciting, but drinkable." "Thumbs down on the almond milk." "The cucumber juice tastes just like ... cucumber juice." "The juices are a little bland, but not unpalatable." "Both green juices are pretty foul."
Follow Marni Wasserman on Twitter: www.twitter.com/@marniwasserman