I am pretty sure you can take any fruit in the whole wide world, dip it in chocolate, let that chocolate harden and we will all be happy.
I used to think that, at least. I now have three fruit exceptions. In my opinion, no amount of chocolate will make these three fruits delicious. They are, in very particular order:
- Fresh lucuma (aka Egg fruit)
Blech. If you like any of these, I'd love for you to post a comment below and try and convince me I just didn't eat them right, they weren't properly ripe, or are just an acquired taste. Maybe it's like a cilantro thing? Or a Thrills gum thing (ten points if you know what Thrills gum is, the adored flavor of 'musk').
Moving on to the sweet and awesome fruits, let's talk about figs. I'm confident you're familiar with dried figs, but fresh? Have you ever tried fresh black mission figs?
I know these are not local, they never will be, but when I see fresh figs at our neighbourhood produce market, I buy them.
They're sweet and juicy with that little bit of crunch from the seeds is a side benefit to the number of delicious health benefits.
How to Select and Store Your Figs
- Purchase only a day or two in advance of when you are planning on eating them.
- Look for figs that have a rich, deep color and are plump and tender, but not mushy.
- You want firm stems and be free of bruises.
- Breathe in! They should have a subtly sweet smell. Sourness can be an indication of spoilage.
- Keep ripe figs in the fridge, covered or wrapped to keep them from drying out.
- As the bruise easily, wrap in a towel to ensure they don't get smushed in the fridge.
- Slightly under-ripe figs can be kept on the counter, away from direct sunlight.
Figs are also considered an aphrodisiac. Talk about side benefits! According to the Vegetarian Society "This erotic, fleshy fruit is said to act as a powerful sexual stimulant. Originally from Syria, it is one of the oldest known plants. Ritual copulation followed the arrival of the new fig crop in Ancient Greece and it is said to have been Cleopatra's favourite fruit. For the ancient Greeks the fig was one of the sacred foods associated with fertility and love."
So what would happen if we took this pleasure food and lovingly coated it in one of the greatest aphrodisiacs, chocolate?
Again, the Veg Society proclaims that "Chocolate has been used to stoke the flames of passions all over the world. Chocolate contains chemicals thought to effect neurotransmitters in the brain." Legend has it that its powers on the sexual appetite have led to a chocolate ban being imposed in some monasteries.
Simple, easy, delicious, and requires only three healthful ingredients. I know you are dying to bite in and savour this sweetness.
Chocolate Covered Figs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
A simple three ingredient chocolate dessert.
- 1 Dark Chocolate Bar. Get the highest percentage of cocoa you can find.
- 1-2 Tbs Coconut Oil, cold pressed, unrefined.
- 8-10 fresh figs, washed and dried
Make It Like So
- Place large pot of water and turn oven on to a medium heat. Place smaller pot inside the larger one.
- Add chocolate and coconut oil to smaller pot and stir gently as it melts. This gets tricky. If it stays on the heat too long, it will get chunky. The same happens if water gets in. If that happens you'll be forced to eat this batch of chocolate and start over. There are worse things.
- As soon as chocolate is melted and thoroughly mixed with coconut oil, holding the fig by its stem, start dipping!
- Place dipped figs on parchment lined plate. Once all the figs have been dipped, place in the freezer to set. Will take about 20 minutes and can then be stored in the fridge.
Optional Add Ons:
If you want to fancy your figs up, you can roll dipped figs in your choice of finely chopped pistachios, slivered almonds, coconut or a favourite topping of your choice.
Follow HuffPost Canada Blogs on Facebook
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
And this is the bare minimum, according to Walsh. Chronic dehydration will affect the skin's elasticity and cause premature signs of aging. The best indicator of your hydration is your urine. Someone who is well-hydrated will produce clear or light-colored urine. Dark-colored urine is a sign of dehydration. Need more motivation? Drinking water helps you lose weight because the H2O aids with digestion, keeps your energy levels up, and improves muscle function. Photo Credit: Shutterstock Click Here to See Healthy Habits That Keep You Young
Eating bad food is biggest mistake Walsh sees people making. “Unfortunately, our culture is one of heavily processed fast foods and quick meals, both of which can lead to premature aging,” she said. “In order for the hair, skin, nails and overall body and appearance to look and feel their best, we must fuel ourselves with nutritionally dense food.” There are plenty of superfoods and quick healthy snacks you can choose from. Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Stress is the ultimate ager, Walsh says. “It taxes the body, leads to fatigue, sucks the joy out of life, and keeps us in a state of anxiety.” You can be under stress and not even realize it. The feeling of anxiety and tension is so common that many people think they are OK unless they are having a heart attack. But stress has a sneaky way of building up until it becomes a serious problem. A recent study shows that negative emotions, such as stress, are linked to poor physical health in more than 150,000 people in 142 countries. If the body produces these hormones on regular basis, they hurt the immune, digestive, musculoskeletal, and nervous system. Photo Credit: Shutterstock Click Here to See Healthy Habits That Keep You Young
This is the age of sleep deprivation. People just don’t get enough shut-eye and most of the time they already know it, Lin says. “What they need is to develop a habit of going to bed earlier, not using electronic device before bed, and to learn to follow through,” she adds. Many studies have shown how sleep is key to overall health and wellness. “It is a chance for the body to repair and refresh itself,” Walsh adds. “If we are constantly not getting enough sleep, all of the major systems can be affected. It is essential we aim for at least 7-8 hours per night for optimal functioning.” Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Alcohol is one of the most divisive topics when it comes to longevity. There is plenty of research showing how it slowly kills you if you drink excessively. But how much is too much? A 2010 study, for example shows that heavy drinkers outlived nondrinkers. Moderate drinking, one drink per day for women or two drinks per day for men, defined by the CDC, is associated with the lowest mortality rates in alcohol studies. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, moderate alcohol consumption may have beneficial effects on health – lower risk for heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Click Here to See Healthy Habits That Keep You Young Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Follow Meghan Telpner on Twitter: www.twitter.com/meghantelpner