With tomatoes still hanging on the vines and plenty of fresh corn at my disposal, here is a salsa recipe we have enjoyed recently. Serve with taco chips as an appetizer, as a side dish with chicken or on top of a bed of greens as a lunch salad.
- 2 avocados, pitted and cubed
- 1 14 oz./ 398 ml can black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (kernels from 2 ears of fresh cooked corn or 1-15 oz. can corn, drained)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced fresh jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (2 limes squeezed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Combine avocado, black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion and minced jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss.
- Chill until ready to serve.
*The amounts can be adjusted as to preference or servings required. If you don't care for the heat, omit the pepper. For more tasty recipes visit us at www. mennonitegirlscancook.ca