Cooler days are here...soup's on! I love to have soup on hand at this time of year. We really enjoyed it...it was a nice change from the usual soups that I cook.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (optional:)
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup corn
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice blend, I used a blend of wild and brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups 10% cream or you can use whole milk
- Melt butter over medium heat in your soup pot.
- Stir in onion (if using), celery, and carrots, and green pepper, saute a few minutes until tender crisp.
- Add mushrooms, corn, flour, and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken broth, bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken, rice, all the seasonings, and cream.
- Simmer until done. Approx 2 hours.
For more tasty recipes visit www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca
Follow Mennonite Girls Can Cook on Twitter: www.twitter.com/mgirlscancook