It's been a while since I wrote my blog and it's good to be back. 2013 is going to be a great year. I can feel it. It's a mom thing -- I just know.
It's tough to select just five things to highlight this week but here's what I have: baconnaise, blogging kids, an iPhone contract, Google glasses and smiles.
1. Even though we're already into the broken-New-Year's-resolutions week (wine, carbs, swearing), it's still fun to ask "what did you get for Christmas?" Well since you asked, I got an iPhone 5. And apparently so did millions and millions of others this year. But if Apple needs to boost sales, I recommend they offer this awesome contract as a gift with purchase for parents who are buying the phone for their kids. It was written by Janell Burley Hofmann, a blogger and tech-savvy mom, who gifted the iPhone to her son with a list of conditions. Please read this. It's a great idea and raises some great talking points to discuss with your own children if they are of phone-bearing age. These are not just lessons on how to use your phone. They are lessons on how to live with a phone (emphasis on live).
2. But that's just the beginning. We'll have a lot more to add to that contract very soon as our smart phones continue to outsmart us (and our kids). Think of the implications if Google Glasses take off? We'll have people walking around with tiny screens attached to their glasses, watching videos or surfing social networks while talking to you. Or for the real social media-lites, there are dresses implanted with electronic displays that project your latest social media updates right onto the fabric. Overshare much?
3. Of course technology isn't the only sector where I like to follow the trends. In the world of food, it appears that bacon is still a winner -- having evolved from a side dish to a key ingredient in places you would not expect it (jams, doughnuts and mains). But it's got some competition from Empire Mayonnaise Co. The gourmet mayo company offers flavours such as Black Garlic, Lime Pickle and -- wait for it -- Bacon. Americans have always been fans of the creamy condiment, but could the popularity of these gourmet mayos mean that there's a new sheriff in town? Could mayo be the new bacon? Either way, if you're cutting out carbs for the New Year, you're safe with bacon and mayo.
4. If you're looking for some wholesome activities to do with your kids (other than cook bacon), why not encourage them to write a travel blog? We found a great contest that's only running for one more week, so you'll want to get started on it now. Kids can submit a photo or video explaining what their favourite vacation spot is and enter to win the Grand Prize of a trip for one family to Beaches in Ocho Rios, Jamaica (worth approximately $10,000).
5. On a healthy New Year note, a press release, entitled "Seven reasons why smiling is good for you," caught my attention last week. It came from Topical BioMedics and claims that smiling can do everything from simply lifting your spirits to reducing stress and boosting your immune system. It also makes you look younger and appear more confident and successful. I don't know about you, but it seems like a low risk proposition to me. Give it a try -- put on a happy face this week and let me know how it goes.
Have a good week.