A Maryland couple is suing a beverages maker after their 14-year-old daughter died of a heart attack after consuming two 24-ounce Monster beverages over a 24-hour period. But there is little reason to believe that a regulatory crackdown on energy drinks would bring meaningful public health benefits. To put it crudely, one child dying from caffeine toxicity is not an epidemic. By contrast, roughly 700 children drown annually in the United States, mostly in swimming pools. But no one would want to live in a country where kids aren't allowed near swimming pools. The real take away from this story is that despite the fact that we live at the safest time in human history, risk cannot be eliminated entirely.