The third Monday of January is said to be the most depressing day on the calendar also known as Blue Monday -- coming right at you on January 18th, 2016.
How can we avoid the post-holiday winter blues? Here are five tips for perking up this Blue Monday:
1. Stay on track! It's easy to get sidetracked from your New Years resolutions, especially if they're fitness related. For the working professional who can't seem to maintain motivation, try sticking to a schedule and signing up for exercise classes you actually enjoy! ClassPass is one example of a great way to stay motivated. You can go with friends and choose from an exciting list of classes -- the best part is, once you're within 12 hours of the class you can't cancel and get a refund, making this a sure way to stay on track! If you're more of a homebody, there are a variety of at home workout apps you can download on your phone. My personal favourites include the Sweat by Kayla app and the Nike Training Club app.
2. Host a potluck. Just because the holiday season is over doesn't mean the parties have to end! Invite your closest friends for a themed potluck party. You can choose a spa night theme, an awards show night, or you can just keep it simple and enjoy catching up with friends over wine and cheese. All these options can be done inexpensively, which is especially important if you're in financial recovery mode from the holidays!
3. Embrace the staycation! Instead of the expense of a five-star, week-long, all-inclusive resort, book a January weekend getaway to a fun destination nearby. Look for great online deals where you can earn rewards and cash back. Check out Groupon Getaways for bundle deals that are popular this time of the year; go through Ebates.ca to book getaways on Bookings.com or Hotels.com, where you can accumulate points and cash back when you book a stay. Whether it's breakfast included or a free spa service, there are great deals available.
4. Make a small gesture. It's really the small things that really help perk us up over the dreary cold winter months, and all it takes is a minimal effort. When the outside is grey, you need to create your own sunshine! Do a random act of kindness like paying for someone else's coffee order to help brighten their day! A simple, small gesture and even a smile can go along way during the dreary winter months.
5. Indulge in budget-friendly retail therapy. Whether you're hoping to purchase a few cozy winter items or perhaps a new fitness outfit to keep you motivated this year, now's the time to get great end-of-season deals. Shop online with stores like Sport Chek Canada, Joe Fresh, and Hudson's Bay for some great deals and styles, while earning cash back.
Sari Friedman is the Marketing Director of Ebates Canada and resident shopping expert. Ebates.ca is Canada's largest Cash Back shopping site. As a fashion enthusiast and new mom, Sari has an eye for finding and sharing amazing deals on the hottest trends and must-have styles.
Follow Ebates Canada on Twitter for the best Canadian deals, Cash Back offers and online shopping tips @EbatesCanada