06/14/2011 08:58 EDT | Updated 08/14/2011 05:12 EDT

Jason Dockrill Dead In Halifax Home Invasion, Allegedly Shot By His Father By Accident During Fight With Intruders

CP File

UPDATE: A 20-year-old killed in a Halifax home invasion was allegedly shot by accident by his father, The Chronicle Herald has confirmed.

THE CANADIAN PRESS - RCMP investigating a fatal shooting during a botched break and enter at a Halifax house said Monday the victim and the man who allegedly pulled the trigger lived together at the home.

Police were called Sunday night after reports that two masked men had broken into a home on St. Margaret's Bay Road in the community of Lakeside, leading to a struggle with the 20-year-old victim, said Cpl. Scott MacRae.

MacRae said a gunshot was fired during the fight, striking and killing the young man. Police identified him as Jason Dockrill.

The two intruders then fled, MacRae said.

When officers arrived, they found the man's body. A 52-year-old man was taken into custody and later released.

Police said a "significant" amount of cash and marijuana was seized from the home during their search.

"That's leading police as one of the possible reasons — maybe it would've been a motive — for this break and enter," said MacRae.

MacRae would not confirm the nature of the relationship between the victim and the alleged shooter.

"They're known to each other," he said Monday. "All we know is that (they) lived at this residence."

RCMP said charges were pending against the 52-year-old.

MacRae said investigators were treating the shooting as a homicide.

"We are investigating it as such until something leads us to believe differently," he said.

Police said they seized a rifle inside the grey bungalow, located along a busy stretch of road west of the city centre.

Yellow police tape cordoned off the home and a neighbouring house as a forensics team scoured the property. The medical examiner's office was also involved in the investigation.

Sandra Brown, who runs a daycare in her home a few doors away, said a family lived in the house but she didn't know much about them.

"They were always just good neighbours," said Brown, adding that the area is typically very quiet.

"It's shocking."

MacRae said police were still searching for the two suspects in connection with the robbery. It's believed the intruders left empty-handed.

He said people have a legal right to defend their property with as much force as necessary during a break and enter.

"But ... you're ultimately responsible for the consequences and the justification of the use of the force," he said.