THE CANADIAN PRESS -- GUELPH, Ont. - Another death has been linked to outbreaks of C. difficile in Ontario hospitals, bringing the province's toll to at least 21 since late May.
A spokesman for Guelph General Hospital says an elderly patient who tested positive for the infection died over the weekend.
Perry Hagerman says two more cases of the bug have been reported at the hospital since Friday.
Seven hospitals are battling outbreaks of the bacterial infection, which causes severe diarrhea and typically spreads through contact with fecal matter.
Ten hospitals had declared outbreaks last week, but three -- in Toronto, Hamilton and Napanee -- called them off in recent days.
A federal epidemiologist was called in last week to help deal with the outbreaks.